Every year I savor the precious month during the summer when we can eat juicy, sun-warmed tomatoes right off the vine. We’ll enjoy that quintessential flavor in the wintertime when we cook with our garden tomatoes that we canned, but nothing quite beats perfectly ripened, fresh tomatoes! The type of tomato that has been most plentiful in our garden this year is the Siberia. It’s 2-3″ in diameter and has a delicious, deep flavor. These tomatoes taste amazing in salads and sandwiches, but my favorite way to prepare them is making them into little bite-sized appetizers.
You’ll really experience the garden-fresh flavors of summer when you taste these garden herb and goat cheese stuffed tomatoes. These are the flavors to savor during the few precious tomato-harvesting weeks of the season!
- 12 organic tomatoes (around 2-4" in diameter)
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 2 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups organic spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup organic goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup organic whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice (reserved after scooping out the tomatoes)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and dry tomatoes, then slice tops off and carefully scoop out just enough flesh to make room for stuffing. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the juice. (A grapefruit spoon works great for the scooping.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine goat cheese, breadcrumbs, black pepper, herbs and tomato juice.
- Heat olive oil over low to medium heat. Sauté garlic until just fragrant, then add shallots. When the shallots are barely tender, add the spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Add the sautéed mixture to the goat cheese mixture and combine well. Spoon into each tomato.
- Place stuffed tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or I use a baking dish with sides to help keep the tomatoes upright.
- Sprinkle stuffed tomatoes with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until thoroughly heated through.