When you have a million things going on, the last thing you’re able to do is spend hours in the kitchen cooking, even if you want to. However, you crave a homemade meal that’s nourishing for yourself and for your family. I can relate!
When I plan my meals out for the week, I usually include at least a few super-simple recipes for busy nights. My Sausage Pizza Bake recipe is one of my go-tos. It’s one that you can make a night ahead and refrigerate until you’re ready to put it in the oven.
When you first saw the name of this recipe, was the thing that came to mind a store-bought packaged meal, like Hamburger Helper? This is the real food version: no GMOs, preservatives, or additives like MSG.
Organic pastured pork, fresh organic peppers and mushrooms, and homemade tomato sauce are a few of the nutritious ingredients that set this Sausage Pizza Bake far apart from the store-bought versions.
- 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 organic green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup organic mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried organic basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried organic oregano
- 1 pound organic ground pork sausage (preferably pastured pork)
- 4 cups organic pizza or pasta sauce (I make large batches of my homemade sauce and freeze for future use in recipes such as this one)
- 1/2 pound cooked organic whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups grated organic mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated organic Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté garlic, bell pepper and onion in the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan, for about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes longer, until tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in the dried herbs.
- Add the ground sausage and cook until the meat browns and there is no pink.
- Drain excess liquid and grease from the pan if desired.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked penne pasta.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Spread half of the sausage pizza mixture into the dish, then sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of the parmesan.
- Spread the remaining sausage pizza mixture into the dish and top with the remaining cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of parmesan.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, until cheeses are slightly golden brown.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.