I have a new appreciation for beets after the first season I grew them in our garden. Not only are beets super easy to grow, they also bring amazing flavor to the table along with tons of health benefits. Their versatility shouldn’t be underestimated, either! Roasting is one of the most popular ways to prepare them, but have you ever tried them in a smoothie? Delicious flavor set aside, beet smoothies can give your body a boost in eliminating toxins. My nutrient-dense Ginger Beet Detox Smoothie has 6 powerful cleansing ingredients. It’s a smoothie that I enjoy regularly to help strengthen my body and protect it from everyday environmental toxins.
- Beets have been shown to protect the liver from toxins. Betalain is a compound in beets that has been known to help reduce affects of gamma radiation.
- Leafy greens such as spinach contain chlorophyll, which boosts the digestive tract to eliminate toxins. The fiber contained in the greens helps cleanse the colon.
- Ginger helps to boost the metabolism, which in turn helps the body flush out toxins.
- Strawberries have certain antioxidants which help fight carcinogens and also have anti-aging properties.
- Apples contain pectin which is a type of fiber that can aid the body in removing food preservatives and metals.
- Bananas aid in digestion and help balance friendly bacteria in the gut.
If you normally don’t enjoy beets, this recipe is a great way to introduce them into your regular diet.
- ½ cup organic beet juice
- 1 teaspoon organic ginger root, minced
- 1 cup organic baby spinach
- 1 cup organic strawberries
- 1 organic apple, cored and cut into pieces
- Half of an organic banana
- 6 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until consistency is smooth.
- Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy!
if a juicer isn’t available to you, organic beet juice can be found at your local health food store.