Ripe, juicy tomatoes warmed from the sun are one of the best tastes of summertime if you love tomatoes, but they are just as fabulous when they’re green with just a slight blush of pink! This baked green tomatoes with fresh tomato relish recipe makes it tough for me to leave my tomatoes on the vine long enough to ripen. It’s also a great way to use the straggling tomatoes that haven’t ripened by the end of harvest.
Fried green tomatoes are a classic southern dish, but they shouldn’t be forgotten wherever there are tomatoes growing! They are such a perfect appetizer for a summertime barbecue. I thought I would try my hand at baking them because it’s quicker and easier for me to season them and put them in the oven, as opposed to creating a potentially really messy frying situation. They turned out to be incredibly delicious with the perfectly crispy crust and tangy flavor of the green tomatoes. The fresh tomato relish is optional, but it can be whipped up in a matter of minutes and really makes this dish extra flavorful.
Any large, meaty tomato variety is good for making baked green tomatoes. I think they’re best when they are green but just barely show ripening tones. The most important recommendation to make this recipe turn out perfectly is to slice the tomatoes no thicker than 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick. This is a big factor in perfecting the crispiness of the crust.
- 4 medium-sized organic green tomatoes (any large, meaty variety works well)
- 1/2 cup organic fine ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (we use this kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Whites from 1 organic egg
- 1/3 cup organic grated parmesan cheese
- Organic olive oil for drizzling
- 3 small ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/8 cup organic olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt (we use this kind)
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic parsley, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and chop tomatoes into small pieces, then add to a glass mixing bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
- Wash and slice green tomatoes no thicker than 1/4" to 1/2" slices.
- Combine cornmeal, seasoned salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl.
- Add egg white to a separate small mixing bowl.
- Dip tomato slices into the egg white first, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture, thoroughly coating.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly drizzle one side with olive oil and sprinkle with half of the parmesan cheese.
- Place on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and flip each tomato over. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh tomato relish.